Search Site
5711 W Slauson Ave., Suite 150 | Culver City, California 90230
1005 Cecile Ave | Delano, California 93215
Free Consultation 800-549-5859

Fiance, Spouse and Children Visa

K-1: the Fiancé(e) Visa

The K-1 fiancé(e) visa is used by foreign citizens engaged to U.S. citizens who wish to reside in the United States after marriage. The visa allows the U.S. citizen to bring his or her foreign fiancé(e) to the U.S. for 90 days. During this time, the foreign citizen fiancé(e) must get married to the citizen sponsor, or the fiancé(e) must return to his or her home nation.

Though the K-1 visa is for the purpose of allowing foreign citizens to enter the U.S. in order to get married, there is no legal requirement that K-1 visa holders get married. They are allowed to back out of the engagement, but they must suffer the consequence of having to return to their home countries.

In order to qualify for a K-1 visa, both parties must be free to marry, and the marriage must be legally possible in the United States. Generally, for a K-1 visa to be approved, the engaged couple  must have met in person within the last two years. Sometimes though, an extreme hardship exception is granted. For example, this may occur when a cultural taboo prevents spouses from meeting before marriage.

If the fiancés do get married, the immigrant spouse must apply for permanent resident status if he or she wishes to remain in the United States . A foreign citizen entering the United States on a K-1 visa may bring their unmarried minor children with them  under a K-2 visa.

K-3: Spouse’s Visa

A foreign-citizen spouse of an American citizen can apply for a K-3 visa to come to the United States. . A K-3 visa, like a K-1 visa, grants nonimmigrant status, so its processing time is  generally faster than applying for an immigrant visa. A K-3 visa allows the foreign spouse to reside in the U.S. while waiting for approval of the immigrant visa application.

Afterward, the spouse can apply for permanent resident status at any time. K-3 visa holders may bring any unmarried children under age 21 with them under a K-4 visa. The K-3 visa is valid for two years, but if the spouses divorce before the immigrant’s application for permanent residence is approved, the K-3 visa terminates 30 days after the divorce is finalized.

K4: Visas for Children

When a K-3 visa holder has minor children that he or she wishes to bring to reside with him or her in the United States, the children may apply under a K-4 visa. This visa allows unmarried minor children under the age of 21 to enter the country with their K-3 visa-holding parents.

The K-4 visa has the same duration and termination issues as a K-3 visa. ‘The K-4 is valid for two years or until the child reaches age 21, whichever comes first. Additionally, if the child marries, the K-4 visa expires 30 days after the marriage.

The Process

The visa application process can be a long and arduous one. The appropriate steps must be completed fully and without errors in order to successfully complete the process. Our lawyers can guide you through the process, which includes the following steps:

  • Preparing forms and filing the petition;
  • Applying for the visa;
  • Assembling proper documentation;
  • Completing the medical exam and getting the required vaccinations;
  • Providing evidence of a source of financial support to demonstrate that the foreign fiancé(e) or spouse will not become dependent on the state; and
  • Paying the required fees.

K visas require the completion and submission of multiple forms. Depending on the situation, this often includes some combination of the following:

  • Form I-129F, Petition for Alien Fiancé(e)
  • Form I-864, Affidavit of Support Under Section 213A of the Act
  • Form I-134, Affidavit of Support
  • Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status
  • Form I-765, Application for Employment Authorization
  • Form G-325A, Biographical Information
  • DS-160  Online Nonimmigrant Visa Application

At our Los Angeles immigration law offices, our lawyers will complete the forms and assemble the documentation to get your case processed as efficiently as possible. We will manage your case during the entire process and keep you updated and informed of your status.

Contact us

Please fill out the form below and one of our attorneys will contact you.

Quick Contact Form

Office Locations
  • Culver City Office (Main Office) – West Los Angeles
    5711 W Slauson Ave.
    Suite 150
    Culver City, California 90230
    Phone: 310-945-5998
    Fax: 310-945-5609
  • Delano Office
    1005 Cecile Ave
    Delano, California 93215
    Phone: 661-721-0721
    Fax: 661-721-0725

Client Intake Form

  • MM slash DD slash YYYY
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.