Parole in place (PIP "provisional waiver"
Search Site
5711 W Slauson Ave., Suite 150 | Culver City, California 90230
1005 Cecile Ave | Delano, California 93215
Free Consultation 800-549-5859

Parole in place (PIP)is a unique program for certain undocumented family members of U.S. military personnel (active or veterans)

Parole in place (PIP)is a unique program for certain undocumented family members of U.S. military personnel (active or veterans). It allows those non-citizen family members who are in the U.S. unlawfully to apply for a green card, without having to leave the country.

Parole in place (PIP) Noncitizen spouses, parents, and ummarried minor children of U.S. citizen members of the U.S. military (current or past) who are in the U.S. after an unlawful entry have, as of 2013, a path to a U.S. green card that is not available to others.An opportunity known as “parole in place” (or PIP) allows those who already qualify for a green card based on this close family relationship to “adjust status”—that is, apply for lawful permanent residence or a green card—without leaving the United States, despite their past illegal entry and stay.

The “provisional waiver” can help with this, but not everyone qualifies for it.

Not everyone will be helped by the PIP policy. First, you need to figure out whether you are in one of the categories of family members who are eligible as an “immediate relative,” that is, either a U.S. citizen’s:

  • spouse
  • unmarried child (under age 21), or
  • parent.

If you’re an immediate relative, you are technically eligible for a green card right away, without waiting in line. But you must still get through the application process—and may now do so much more easily, thanks to the PIP policy.

Parole in place helps someone adjust status in two ways. First, someone who wants to adjust must have entered the U.S. legally. The law a person must have been “inspected and admitted or paroled.” Parole is a type of permission to be in the United States legally, usually for a temporary period of time. If parole in place is granted, the government is giving you legal entry, without you actually having to go anywhere. That’s why it’s called parole “in place.”

Second, you must be “admissible” to adjust status. There are many reasons why a person might be inadmissible and prevented from getting a green card. See Inadmissibility: When the U.S. Can Keep You Out for details. PIP works to remove a ground of inadmissibility that prevents a lot of people from adjusting their status: being in the U.S. after entering the country illegally. With your new permission to be in the U.S. as a result of your PIP approval, the government is saying that you were admitted into—”entered”—the U.S. legally, as far as it’s concerned.

PIP, if it eliminates your illegal entry problem, can also take care of another inadmissibility problem: you will no longer have to worry about being barred from return to the U.S. for three or ten years as a penalty for leaving after past unlawful presence, because if you are eligible to adjust status, you won’t have to leave the U.S. in the first place.

If you believe you might be inadmissible on any other grounds, you may have trouble successfully applying for a green card, and should definitely consult with an experienced immigration attorney.

Determine Eligibility for PIP

To be eligible for PIP approval, you must be the spouse, child, or parent of either:

  • an Active Duty member of the U.S. Armed Forces
  • a current member of the Selected Reserve of the Ready Reserve, or
  • someone who has previously served in the U.S. Armed Forces or the Selected Reserve of the Ready Reserve.

PIP eligibility isn’t automatic for people in these three groups, but they are the only ones who are encouraged to ask for it under the new policy.

Here’s who will not be granted PIP: Anyone with a criminal conviction or other “serious adverse factors.” Parole in place can be granted only on a “discretionary” basis, which means the immigration authorities don’t have to grant it if they don’t want to—they have to first be convinced that the applicant deserves their help. If you have anything negative in your personal history that makes you wonder whether immigration officials would prefer to remove you from the U.S., by all means consult an immigration attorney.

Step Three: Apply for “Parole in Place” Approval

You can’t jump straight to applying for your green card (adjustment of status)—if you do, your application will be rejected. First, you must take care of the issue of your illegal entry to the U.S., and request parole in place. To do so, you must prepare and submit the following to U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS):

  • Form I-131, Application for Travel Document
  • Evidence of the family relationship to the U.S. citizen military serviceperson (such as a copy of a birth or marriage certificate)
  • Evidence that the U.S. citizen family member is either an Active Duty member of the U.S. Armed Forces, in the Selected Reserve of the Ready Reserve, or previously served in the U.S. Armed Forces or the Selected Reserve or the Ready Reserve, such as a photocopy of the military identification card (DD Form 1173; make copies of both the front and back).
  • Two identical, color, passport-style photographs of the noncitizen applicant, and
  • Evidence of any additional favorable discretionary factors that you wish to have USCIS take into account, such as letters from community leaders or teachers showing your involvement in volunteer activities, personal education, or your children’s education.

There is no fee for this application.

See the Form I-131 page of the USCIS website for a free download of the form and instructions on where to mail it.

After USCIS has reviewed your application, it may decide to call you in for an interview. Typically these are short interviews, perhaps even at a filing or intake window rather than an actual office. Nevertheless, if USCIS feels it needs more information in your case, it may conduct a more extensive interview.

 Apply for Adjustment of Status

Once you have obtained approval of your parole in place, you can proceed with filing a visa petition (signed by the U.S. citizen) and adjustment of status application, all at the same time. See an attorney or follow the instructions on the Getting a Family-Based Green Card and Adjustment of Status Procedures pages of the Nolo website.

In addition, be sure to include a copy of your parole in place approval notice from USCIS.

Contact us

Please fill out the form below and one of our attorneys will contact you.

Quick Contact Form

Office Locations
  • Culver City Office (Main Office) – West Los Angeles
    5711 W Slauson Ave.
    Suite 150
    Culver City, California 90230
    Phone: 310-945-5998
    Fax: 310-945-5609
  • Delano Office
    1005 Cecile Ave
    Delano, California 93215
    Phone: 661-721-0721
    Fax: 661-721-0725

Client Intake Form

  • MM slash DD slash YYYY
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
Parole in place (PIP "provisional waiver"